Friday, August 17, 2007

Video: It's not as easy as it looks...

At first it seemed so easy.

In May, I got a few tips on recording video from The Roanoke Times' online producer, Hunter Wilson, then headed out to get started. After a few tries (one involving forgetting to press the record button), I returned with blue-tinted, shaky video of children getting swimming lessons at the Salem Family YMCA.

Hunter, who is a nice guy anyway, smiled politely and reassured me that the video couldn't have been as bad as I thought it was. Somehow he compiled my errant clips into a pretty cool video before the end of the day. I took that to mean video editing was super easy. I was so wrong.

Today, I got a crash course on editing video during the Freedom Forum's online and multimedia seminar. We spent half of the day just learning the basics of editing. Then we actually had to do it. Working in teams of three, each group put together a short video about the program.

Now that my group is done, my head hearts a bit. My brain is numb. I could never have imagined all of the work that goes into producing a minute-long video.

I have given up on ever working in the movie industry. I won't give up on short videos for the Web. Maybe, with practice it will be less difficult, but not easy.

- Marquita Brown


The video Hunter produced is here. Also, many other videos are on the Roanoke Times Web site, under "Multimedia."

Links to my group's video will be posted on the blog.

No comments: