Tuesday, August 14, 2007

I can edit copy...audio, not so much

Today was the first time I edited audio in I don't know how long. I dabbled a little bit in audio during my assistantship in grad school for the campus radio station, but things have changed so much since them (okay, now I sound like my mother).

The problem wasn't the program as much as the user. But, like any new skill you learn, it takes practice.

When I made my first foray into editing on the desk, "the dark side" as some of my reporter friends like to call it, there were many times that I wondered whether editing was really for me.

I didn't happen overnight - and I am still learning - but I eventually got to the point where I felt comfortable in my new role and confident in my abilities.

So, it's okay that the sound quality on my interview was barely above a whisper, or that I chopped toooo much out of more than a few sentences when I tried to piece the clip together.

I know I will get the hang of it. I can't wait to see what I can do with a little practice.

- Erica Pippins

No comments: