Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The audio game


Following Mindy McAdam's lecture on audio, my mind was cluttered with worry.

Copyright, the very stuff that protects our news stories from plagiarism, will make audio editing hell if there is music playing in the background. For some reason, I hadn't thought about how the RIAA would come after me for using a minute of song in a little news segment only seen by a measly 100,000 readers.

OK. It makes sense. But geez! There's nothing out there we can use for background, is there? To make things slightly worse, we have to worry about picking up snippets of pop songs if we are recording at Starbucks?!

The biggest let down of all: Time Warner owns the freakin' Happy Birthday song?

Just for that, you may soon see me on YouTube singing my little heart out!

--Kelly Cuculiansky
The Daytona Beach News-Journal

No comments: